So you are thinking about buying or having your very own Betta fish tank. Betta fish is a beautiful little fish that will bring a special charm to any home aquarium. However, before you get started with this exotic pet you first need to learn how to properly care for one. First off, they should have continual access to fresh, clean water all the time. They should also be kept in an environment where the temperature is not too hot or too cold. This can cause stress for the fish and improper tank maintenance.
You might be asking yourself, how to clean a betta fish tank? The answer is simple. Just follow these tips to ensure that your new pet tank has a healthy life span. Make sure to take a look at these simple tips.
- Tip number one is to make sure that you never buy or add foreign objects to your Betta tank. Some people believe that you can mix up the type of stones, plants, gravels, or anything else that may look foreign into your Betta’s tank. Although, this might be alright in some situations. If you are going to add something like this, make sure that you first remove it from the tank and give it a good vacuum.
- When learning how to clean a betta fish tank, tip number two is to make sure that you are testing the filter. A lot of people do not realize that the filter is often the biggest culprit of Betta waste. The filter will collect all sorts of little pieces and bits, including the food that your fish take every day.
- Tip number three is to make sure that the water is always clean. Many people assume that since their Betta fish are big fish, they automatically know how to keep their tanks clean. Well, this just isn’t the case. Even though your pet fish is big, he or she still needs to be taken care of. Just because you have a bigger tank doesn’t mean that it’s going to be able to hold all of the bacteria, algae, and other types of impurities that can accumulate in many smaller tanks.
- When it comes to cleaning the bowls, be very careful. It’s easy for a little plastic bacterial ball to become full of lime and other harmful elements. Be sure to remove any toys or pieces of coral or whatever it is that your fish might have used to play in the bowls before cleaning them. Once this is done, your fish bowl will be sparkling clean and ready to serve you on a platter of your choosing.
- When it comes to removing the dead leaves and other debris from around the rim of your Betta fish tank, be very careful. You want to make sure that nothing is left floating in the water to give the other denizens of the tank a chance to drift into your betta fish tank. As long as you don’t over do it, there should be no problems here. However, you definitely don’t want to ever put anything in the Betta fish tank that could potentially harm your fish. There are some great products out there that will help you here.
Now that you know how to clean a betta fish tank, all you have to do is figure out what type of tank you have. If your tank is an acrylic tank, then there is no problem. Just use the proper cleaner and your Betta fish should be fine. If you have a glass betta tank, it can be harder, as there is more surface area to get into when the fish waste is in the water. The best thing to do is use the right cleaners for the right type of tank. These are the basic steps on how to clean a betta fish tank.